November 26, 2017

Uji no Sato Japanese Green


Type: Green
Color: Light yellow-green
Body: Thin
Flavor: Grassy, light, metallic, fishy
Strength: 1 out of 5

I bought Uji no Sato along with the awful Sau Mei during my caffeine fast this past spring. The pretty mugwort green packaging looked promising. Nope.

Although Uji no Sato almost smells like matcha, it doesn't have any strong tea flavors like a real matcha. It tastes very light and delicate. Barely-there grassy green notes.

I brewed the tea for shorter times (1-2 minute steep according to directions) and for longer times. Any oversteeping renders the tea fishy and metallic. This tea won't work if you brew grandpa style, unless fish-tea is your jam. Maybe if you add a heaping of salt, it'll start to taste like sea water...

I felt bad for wasting this tea, so I ground it into a powder for homemade face masks. I wasn't mad at it enough to chuck it in the garden.

Conclusion: Don't put this in your mouth, only your face.

No comments:

Post a Comment